Friday, December 16, 2011

Dr. Cross Elected Treasurer of The Congress of Chiropractic State Associations

In November, Dr. Don Cross was elected Treasurer of the Congress of Chiropractic State Associations(COCSA). I sat down with him recently to talk about his new position and what lead up to it.

Dr. Burkhead: When did you first become interested in COCSA? What has your involvement been with this organization?

Dr. Cross: I went to my first meeting in 2007 as the representative for Florida, as I was the president of the Florida Chiropractic Association at the time. I represented Florida through 2008 and then in 2009 I was elected to the Board of Directors and represented 14 states in the Southeast Region. In 2010 I ran for the Executive Committee but lost that election. This year I was asked to run again and was elected treasurer.

Dr. Burkhead: What made you want to be involved with an organization like this?

Dr. Cross: Well, the changes in National Health Care are affecting everybody, providers as well as patients. I wanted to make sure that chiropractic is included as these changes are happening. To help make those changes you really have to be involved nationally, not just at the state level.

Dr. Burkhead: So how does COCSA do that?

Dr. Cross:   COCSA supports state organizations by acting as a clearinghouse of information, and giving state organizations a national political voice. This is especially important for small state associations that don’t have the budgets or the manpower to do that on their own.

Dr. Burkhead: Why is doing this important to you?

Dr. Cross: Even though I practice in a small town, getting involved in this leadership means I can make a contribution that effects not only the nation, but also my patients on a local basis. That’s important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment